Course Date and Time
June 17, 2019: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
Sake School of America – 431 Crocker St., Los Angeles, CA 90013
- Registration will close when course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (May 27, 2019) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
- All instruction, course materials, and exams will be provided in Japanese so participants are required to have Business or Native Japanese level to enroll.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Sake Adviser course. This course provides the fundamental background knowledge on sake production, history, and sake types. Students will gain the ability to speak about basic varieties of sake, including popular brands, with confidence.
Note: Students that have obtained Certified Sake Adviser are eligible to enroll in our advanced sake certification course, Certified Sake Sommelier.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Sake Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of sake in Japan
- Sake ingredients and brewing processes
- Sake terminology and reading sake production labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of sake
- Overview of sake tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Toshio Ueno
Born in Yamanashi Prefecture in Japan where his family has grown wine grapes for generations, Toshio Ueno grew up helping the business from a young age. After college studies in America, he joined a pastry and wine company, where he was put in charge, overseeing the personal wine collection of the company’s president. It was at this point when intrigue set in for him to enter the world of wine stewardship and research.
Toshio Ueno is currently Manager of Business Development in marketing Japanese foods and liquor to the mainstream American market. With his unique knowledge and expertise in both eastern and western liquors, Jizake and Shochu of the east, and wine and beer from the west, he aims to further promote Japanese food and liquor cultures to new, international audiences.
Master of Sake, SSI
Master Sake Sommelier, SSI
Certified Sake Education, Wine & Spirits Education Trust
Advanced Sake Professional, SEC
Advanced Certificate, Wine & Spirits Education Trust
Sake Sommelier & Shochu Adviser, SSI
Beer Adviser, FBO CO., Japan
Vice President, Sake School of America