Course Date and Time
January 13, 2020: 8:30am – 5:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
New York Mutual Trading – 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- Registration will close when course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (Dec 30, 2019) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Sake Adviser course. This course provides the fundamental background knowledge on sake production, history, and types. Students will gain the ability to speak about basic varieties of sake, including popular brands, with confidence.
Note: Students that have obtained Certified Sake Adviser are eligible to enroll in our advanced sake certification course, Certified Sake Sommelier.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Sake Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of sake in Japan
- Sake ingredients and brewing processes
- Sake terminology and reading sake production labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of sake
- Overview of sake tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery
Proctor: Ami Nakanishi