Take our course at 50% off regular price, for industry professionals ONLY.
Must enter restaurant name or affiliation during checkout.
Use CODE: industry2020
Course Date and Time
**Please note that this is an ONLINE COURSE with a TWO PART lecture and you must attend both.
Lecture Part 1: October 05, 2020: 1:00pm – 5:00pm/PST
Lecture Part 2: October 12, 2020 1:00pm – 5:00pm/PST
Miyako Sushi & Washoku School
843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
*Please let us know if you need special arrangements for Exam locations.
In-person exam times and date is below. It will be filled in a first-come, first-serve basis with a maximum of 4 people in the room other than Sake School staff.
Online Exam Date : TBD
- Sake samples are available for pickup prior to the course. If you need special arrangements for sample pickup please let us know.
- Zoom link will be provided once you are registered.
- Exams fees are included and will be scheduled separately from course instruction. Please see above.
- Registration deadline is Friday, September 25, 5pm Pacific Time.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Sake Adviser course. This course provides fundamental background knowledge on sake production, history, and types. Students will gain the ability to speak about basic varieties of sake, including popular brands, with confidence.
Note: Students that have obtained the Certified Sake Adviser title are eligible to enroll in our advanced sake certification course, Certified Sake Sommelier.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
In person Exam Date : July 20, 2020 1:00pm-2:00pm / 2:15pm-3:15pm / 3:30pm-4:30pm
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Sake Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of sake in Japan
- Sake ingredients and brewing processes
- Sake terminology and reading sake production labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection, and service of sake
- Overview of sake tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Sachiko Miyagi
Born in the U.S. and raised in Japan, Sachiko is a bi-cultural and bilingual Sake and Shochu instructor at Sake School of America. Her passion in the beverage industry lead to her previous position as director of marketing at Cedar River Brewing Company, a craft sake brewery in Seattle. Since then she has spoken at educational opportunities nationwide such as an online seminar at Master Brewers Association of the Americas, at the Japanese Consulate in Seattle for JSS (Japan Sake and Shochu Makers Association) and JETRO (The Japan External Trade Organization), workshops, sake pairings, and many more. She loves breaking down the barriers in understanding Sake and Shochu – highly complex beverages with deep traditions in the Japanese culture.
J.S.A Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
International Kikisake-shi, Sake Service Institute International
日本酒学講師 Certified Sake Educator, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Advanced Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
Sake Adviser, Sake Service Institute
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America