Take our course at 50% off regular price, for industry professionals in America ONLY.
Must enter restaurant name or affiliation during checkout.
Use CODE: industry2020
Course Date and Time
**Please note that this is an ONLINE COURSE with a TWO PART lecture and you must attend both.
Lecture Part 1: March 29, 2021: 12:00pm – 4:00pm/PST
Lecture Part 2: April 05, 2021: 12:00pm – 4:00pm/PST
Online Exam Date: April 12, 2021 1:00pm-2:00pm
Along with the online sake lectured and instructions, students will experience of 15 sake samples guided by the instructor to illustrate the variety of key sake styles.
If you are nearby Los Angeles, you can pick up your sake samples in person at:
Miyako Sushi & Washoku School
843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
If you are outside of the Metropolitan Los Angeles are, The sake tasting can be shipped to you.
After your registration is completed, be sure to be in contact with Sake School of America administration to arrange your sake sample delivery.
- Zoom link will be provided once you are registered.
- Exams fees are included and will be scheduled separately from course instruction. Please see above.
- International students are welcome! Samples cannot be shipped outside of the US but a list of suggested tastings will be provided. International students will receive a non-printable PDF or may receive a hard copy for an additional shipping fee
- Registration deadline is Monday, March 22, 5pm Pacific Time.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Sake Adviser course. This course provides fundamental background knowledge on sake production, history, and types. Students will gain the ability to speak about basic varieties of sake, including popular brands, with confidence.
Note: Students that have obtained the Certified Sake Adviser title are eligible to enroll in our advanced sake certification course, Certified Sake Sommelier.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
Online Exam : April 12, 2021 1:00pm-2:00pm
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Sake Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of sake in Japan
- Sake ingredients and brewing processes
- Sake terminology and reading sake production labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection, and service of sake
- Overview of sake tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
JSA Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery