We are now offering a HYBRID Sake Sommelier Course. Students may choose to take the course in-person or online.
Course Date and Time
Ocotber 25-28, 2021: 11:00am – 7:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
In-Person Course Location
New York Mutual Trading – 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
ONLINE – via ZOOM
Along with the online sake lectured and instructions, students will experience of 15 sake samples guided by the instructor to illustrate the variety of key sake styles.
If you are nearby Los Angeles, you can pick up your sake samples in person at:
Miyako Sushi & Washoku School
843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
If you are outside of the Metropolitan Los Angeles area, the sake tasting can be shipped to you.
After your registration is completed, be sure to be in contact with Sake School of America administration to arrange your sake sample delivery.
- The exam for this course must be taken in person. You may choose to take the exam on the date above or at a later date (exam must be taken within 1 year of taking the lecture portion of the course)
- Online students will receive ZOOM information after registration.
- HYBRID classes will need a minimum of 5 students to attend IN-PERSON. If the minimum is not met, the course will become an online only class.
- We reserve the right to cancel the class two weeks prior to the date of the course if there are an inadequate number of registrants. In the case of a cancellation your course fee will be reimbursed (minus the cost of course materials) or you may choose to register for a course at a future date.
- International students are welcome! Samples cannot be shipped outside of the US but a list of suggested tastings will be provided. International students will receive a non-printable PDF or may receive a hard copy for an additional shipping fee.
- Registration deadline is Friday, October 08, 5pm PT.
Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer inquiries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
In preparation for your upcoming course, students are advised to commit 10-15 hours of independent study using the Master of Sake textbook (cost of textbook included in course fees).
This intensive 3-day sake education course is designed to build upon course material taught in the 1-Day Sake Adviser course. Students without Sake Adviser qualifications are requested to contact us prior to course enrollment.
Applicants must possess Sake Adviser qualification or have a strong sake or wine background prior to enrollment in the course.
The exam comprises 3 parts and covers sake characteristics, production, and blind tasting. Students must pass all 3 sections of the examination in order to achieve the Sake Sommelier qualification. Candidates are tested over:
- 2 short multiple choice/short answer exam sections covering course lecture material and textbook content
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two sakes and multiple choice questions
Please note, exams are graded overseas. Student will be notified of exam results by email within 6-8 weeks.
- The main techniques that are used in the production of sake and how they influence style and quality
- Requirements for success as a Kikisake-shi
- The basics of alcoholic beverages
- History of sake production
- Ingredients of sake
- How sake is produced
- Sake tasting techniques and analysis
- Serving sake in the restaurant/hospitality industry
- Reading sake labels
- Prior to the course, students are expected to independently study 10-15 hours using course materials provided.
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
JSA Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery