Course Date and Time
August 24, 2019: 9:00am – 4:00pm (Lecture)
August 25, 2019: 9:00am – 4:00pm (Lecture)
August 26, 2019: 12:00am – 4:00pm (Exam)
Sake School of America – 431 Crocker St., Los Angeles, CA 90013
- We reserve the right to cancel the class two weeks prior to the date of the course if there are an inadequate number of registrants. In the case of a cancellation your course fee will be reimbursed (minus the cost of course materials) or you may choose to register for a course at a future date.
Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer inquiries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
In preparation for your upcoming course, students are advised to commit 10-15 hours of independent study using the Master of Sake textbook (cost of textbook included in course fees).
This intensive 3-day sake education course is designed to build upon course material taught in the 1-Day Sake Adviser course. Students without Sake Adviser qualifications are requested to contact us prior to course enrollment.
Applicants must possess Sake Adviser qualification or have a strong sake or wine background prior to enrollment in the course.
The exam comprises 3 parts and covers sake characteristics, production, and blind tasting. Students must pass all 3 sections of the examination in order to achieve the Sake Sommleier qualification. Candidates are tested over:
- 2 short multiple choice/short answer exam sections covering course lecture material and textbook content
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two sakes and multiple choice questions
Please note, exams are graded overseas. Student will be notified of exam results by email within 4-6 weeks.
- The main techniques that are used in the production of sake and how they influence style and quality
- Requirements for success as a Kikisake-shi
- The basics of alcoholic beverages
- History of sake production
- Ingredients of sake
- How sake is produced
- Sake tasting techniques and analysis
- Serving sake in the restaurant/hospitality industry
- Reading sake labels
- Prior to the course, students are expected to independently study 10-15 hours using course materials provided.
Instructor: Toshio Ueno
Born in Yamanashi Prefecture in Japan where his family has grown wine grapes for generations, Toshio Ueno grew up helping the business from a young age. After college studies in America, he joined a pastry and wine company, where he was put in charge, overseeing the personal wine collection of the company’s president. It was at this point when intrigue set in for him to enter the world of wine stewardship and research.
Toshio Ueno is currently Manager of Business Development in marketing Japanese foods and liquor to the mainstream American market. With his unique knowledge and expertise in both eastern and western liquors, Jizake and Shochu of the east, and wine and beer from the west, he aims to further promote Japanese food and liquor cultures to new, international audiences.
Master of Sake, SSI
Master Sake Sommelier, SSI
Certified Sake Education, Wine & Spirits Education Trust
Advanced Sake Professional, SEC
Advanced Certificate, Wine & Spirits Education Trust
Sake Sommelier & Shochu Adviser, SSI
Beer Adviser, FBO CO., Japan
Vice President, Sake School of America
Instructor: Sachiko Miyagi
Formerly Director of Marketing at Cedar River Brewing Company in Seattle, Sachiko joined Sake School of America as instructor in June 2018. Her passion for spreading the love of sake started when she realized she could be more than a dedicated consumer of sake while living in Boston, Massachusetts. Her experience working in Japanese restaurants and as a tour guide served her well and she started pursuing certifications in sake in 2014. She is happy to be joining sake educators and professionals who have paved the way and to further the appreciation and knowledge of sake.
International Kikisake-shi, Sake Service Institute International
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Advanced Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
Sake Adviser, Sake Service Institute
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America