Course Date and Time
March 23, 2020: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
Miyako Sushi & Washoku School – 843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
- Registration will close when course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (March 09, 2020) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Shochu Adviser course. This course provides the fundamental background knowledge on shochu ingredients, history, and production. Students will gain the ability to speak about varieties of shochu. This interactive course features shochu tasting and discussion, so you can develop your knowledge about shochu with first-hand experience.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Shochu Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of shochu in Japan
- Shochu ingredients and production methods
- Shochu terminology and reading shochu labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of shochu
- Overview of shochu tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Sachiko Miyagi
Born in the U.S. and raised in Japan, Sachiko is a bi-cultural and bilingual Sake and Shochu instructor at Sake School of America. Her passion in the beverage industry lead to her previous position as director of marketing at Cedar River Brewing Company, a craft sake brewery in Seattle. Since then she has spoken at educational opportunities nationwide such as an online seminar at Master Brewers Association of the Americas, at the Japanese Consulate in Seattle for JSS (Japan Sake and Shochu Makers Association) and JETRO (The Japan External Trade Organization), workshops, sake pairings, and many more. She loves breaking down the barriers in understanding Sake and Shochu – highly complex beverages with deep traditions in the Japanese culture.
J.S.A Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
日本酒学講師 Certified Sake Educator, Sake Service Institute
Certified Level 3 Sake Educator, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
International Kikisake-shi, Sake Service Institute International
Advanced Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America