Course Date and Time
Aug 31, 2020: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
New York Mutual Trading – 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- Registration will close when course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (Aug 17, 2020) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Shochu Adviser course. This course provides the fundamental background knowledge on shochu ingredients, history, and production. Students will gain the ability to speak about varieties of shochu. This interactive course features shochu tasting and discussion, so you can develop your knowledge about shochu with first-hand experience.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Shochu Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of shochu in Japan
- Shochu ingredients and production methods
- Shochu terminology and reading shochu labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of shochu
- Overview of shochu tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Rachel Fiekowsky
Rachel Fiekowsky is a New Jersey native originally coming from a background studying medical sciences. She fell in love with Japan at an early age and was determined to learn Japanese, so did so while working on the side in restaurants between biology courses. Her curious nature, a love of Sake and Shochu, and a deep appreciation for Japan’s culture and cuisine earned her a place at New York Mutual Trading as a Japanese Beverage Specialist. She has been with the company since 2012.
Rachel spends each day looking for new ways to share her passion with the world, and consults regularly with all sorts – producers, distributors, small businesses and consumers – on the most fun and interesting ways to experience Japan in every glass.