Course Date and Time
November 29, 2021: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
Miyako Sushi & Washoku School – 843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
- Registration will close when course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (Nov 19, 2021) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Shochu Adviser course. This course provides the fundamental background knowledge on shochu ingredients, history, and production. Students will gain the ability to speak about varieties of shochu. This interactive course features shochu tasting and discussion, so you can develop your knowledge about shochu with first-hand experience.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
The 1 hour written exam comprises of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Shochu Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of shochu in Japan
- Shochu ingredients and production methods
- Shochu terminology and reading shochu labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of shochu
- Overview of shochu tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Toshio Ueno
Born in Yamanashi Prefecture in Japan where his family has grown wine grapes for generations, Toshio Ueno grew up helping the business from a young age. After college studies in America, he joined a pastry and wine company, where he was put in charge, overseeing the personal wine collection of the company’s president. It was at this point when intrigue set in for him to enter the world of wine stewardship and research.
Toshio Ueno is currently Director of Sake at Mutual Trading Company. With his unique knowledge and expertise in both eastern and western liquors, Jizake and Shochu of the east, and wine and beer from the west, he aims to further promote Japanese food and liquor cultures to new, international audiences.
Master Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Master of Sake, Sake Service Institute
2016 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Advanced Certificate, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Sake Sommelier & Shochu Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Beer Adviser, Food & Beverage Organization Japan
Nanbu Toji Guild, Toji Candidate, Accredited Specialist