Take our course at $200 off regular price, for industry professionals ONLY.
Must enter restaurant name or affiliation during checkout.
Use CODE: somm200
Online Lecture Dates and Times
April. 26, 2021: 12:00pm – 5:00pm ET | 9:00am – 2:00pm PT
May. 03, 2020: 12:00pm – 5:00pm ET | 9:00am – 2:00pm PT
May. 10, 2020: 12:00pm – 5:00pm ET | 9:00am – 2:00pm PT
Exam Dates and Locations – EXAM MUST BE TAKEN IN PERSON
May. 17, 2020 9:00am PT Miyako Sushi & Washoku School– 843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
May. 17, 2020 12:00pm ET New York Mutual Trading – 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- Sake samples are available for pickup at NJ, NY, LA locations prior to the course. If you need special arrangements for delivery of sake samples, please contact us.
- New York Mutual Trading – 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- MTC Kitchen – 711 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10017
- Sake School of America – 843 East 4th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013
- The exam for this course must be taken in person. You may choose to take the exam on the date above or at a later date (exam must be taken within 1 year of taking the lecture portion of the course)
- Zoom link will be provided once you are registered.
- We reserve the right to cancel the class two weeks prior to the date of the course if there are an inadequate number of registrants. In the case of a cancellation your course fee will be reimbursed (minus the cost of course materials) or you may choose to register for a course at a future date.
- International students are welcome! Samples cannot be shipped outside of the US but a list of suggested tastings will be provided. International students will receive a non-printable PDF or may receive a hard copy for an additional shipping fee.
- Registration deadline is Friday, April 01, 5pm PT.
Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer inquiries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
In preparation for your upcoming course, students are advised to commit 10-15 hours of independent study using the Master of Sake textbook (cost of textbook included in course fees).
This intensive 3-day sake education course is designed to build upon course material taught in the 1-Day Sake Adviser course. Students without Sake Adviser qualifications are requested to contact us prior to course enrollment.
Applicants must possess Sake Adviser qualification or have a strong sake or wine background prior to enrollment in the course.
The exam comprises 3 parts and covers sake characteristics, production, and blind tasting. Students must pass all 3 sections of the examination in order to achieve the Sake Sommelier qualification. Candidates are tested over:
- 2 short multiple choice/short answer exam sections covering course lecture material and textbook content
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two sakes and multiple choice questions
Please note, exams are graded overseas. Student will be notified of exam results by email within 6-8 weeks.
- The main techniques that are used in the production of sake and how they influence style and quality
- Requirements for success as a Kikisake-shi
- The basics of alcoholic beverages
- History of sake production
- Ingredients of sake
- How sake is produced
- Sake tasting techniques and analysis
- Serving sake in the restaurant/hospitality industry
- Reading sake labels
- Prior to the course, students are expected to independently study 10-15 hours using course materials provided.
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
JSA Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery