- There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are required to complete a two-week online pre-study programme before attending the course. You must be of legal drinking age in the country where you are attending the course to participate in any alcohol tasting; however, this is not a barrier to successfully completing Unit 1.
Course Date & Time
- October 24 – October, 2017
- October 24: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture)
- October 25: 9:00am – 5:oopm (Lecture)
- October 26: 9:00am – 1:00pm (Examination)
- Where: New York Mutual Trading Company: 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- What You’ll Learn:
- The main techniques that are used in the production of sake and how they influence style and quality
- The principal and specialty categories of sake
- The sake industry and the commercial importance of sake in the Japanese and export markets
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of sake
- How to taste sake, and evaluate quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
The WSET® Level 3 Award in Sake is designed to give a thorough understanding of sake and its commercial importance in the world’s market. The qualification will assist those who are required to make professional evaluations of sakes with regards to their quality and commercial value. The qualification provides the in-depth product knowledge required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in product selection in the retail and hospitality sectors. Successful candidates will be able to describe the characteristics of the principal sake categories and give information on the key factors influencing style, quality and value. They will consequently be in a position to advise management, to answer customer queries authoritatively, and to make informed selections of sakes in a variety of situations.
- Exam Date: October 26, 2017
- Unit 1 is assessed by a closed-book exam of 50 multiple-choice questions and a paper of short written answers.
- Unit 2 is assessed by a blind tasting of two sakes.
Course Location Information
New York Mutual Trading
77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
Director of Strategic Planning, WSET
Master of Wine, WSET
Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
WSET Certified Educator
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Level 3 Award in Sake, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Certified Sake Educator, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Sake Specialist, Mutual Trading Company, Inc.