Course Date and Time
August 17, 2019: 10:00am – 4:00pm (Lecture & Exam)
– 4150 N MacArthur Blvd, Irving, TX 75038
Conference Room: Sabine River
- COURSE REGISTRATION CLOSES: August 10, 2019
- Photo ID is required to for participation in the exam.
- Registration may close earlier than the course deadline if course reaches capacity. We reserve the right to cancel the course 2 weeks prior in the case of low enrollment.
This course is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Students will leave the course with hands-on sake knowledge gained from in class sake tastings.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are requested to review course materials prior to the course date. Topics covered in class are
The exam is closed-book and comprised of 30 multiple choice questions. Candidates that pass will receive a certificate and lapel from the Wine & Spirits Education Trust.
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
Instructor: Sachiko Miyagi
Formerly Director of Marketing at Cedar River Brewing Company in Seattle, Sachiko joined Sake School of America as instructor in June 2018. Her passion for spreading the love of sake started when she realized she could be more than a dedicated consumer of sake while living in Boston, Massachusetts. Her experience working in Japanese restaurants and as a tour guide served her well and she started pursuing certifications in sake in 2014. She is happy to be joining sake educators and professionals who have paved the way and to further the appreciation and knowledge of sake.
International Kikisake-shi, Sake Service Institute International
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Advanced Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
Sake Adviser, Sake Service Institute
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America