We are now offering a HYBRID WSET L1 Award in Sake. Students may choose to take the course in-person or online.
Course Date and Time
September 20, 2021 11:00am – 7:00pm ET / 8:00am – 4:00pm PT(Lecture & Exam)
New York Mutual Trading– 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- Photo ID is required to for participation in the exam.
- Registration will close when the course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (August 27, 2021) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
- Online students will receive ZOOM information after registration.
- HYBRID classes will need a minimum of 5 students to attend IN-PERSON. If the minimum is not met, the course will become an online only class.
This course is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Students will leave the course with hands-on sake knowledge gained from in class sake tastings.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are requested to review course materials prior to the course date. Topics covered in class are
The exam is closed-book and comprised of 30 multiple choice questions. Candidates that pass will receive a certificate and lapel from the Wine & Spirits Education Trust.
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake-related news, events, and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery