Course Date and Time
June 20, 2020: 10:00am – 4:00pm (Lecture)
Napa Valley Wine Academy -2501 Oak St, Napa, CA 94559
- COURSE REGISTRATION CLOSES: June 06, 2020
- Photo ID is required to for participation in the exam.
- This course is hosted by Napa Valley Wine Academy so please complete registration through their online registration portal.
This course is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Students will leave the course with hands-on sake knowledge gained from in class sake tastings.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are requested to review course materials prior to the course date. Topics covered in class are
The exam is closed-book and comprised of 30 multiple choice questions. Candidates that pass will receive a certificate and lapel from the Wine & Spirits Education Trust.
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
Instructor: Sachiko Miyagi
Born in the U.S. and raised in Japan, Sachiko is a bi-cultural and bilingual Sake and Shochu instructor at Sake School of America. Her passion in the beverage industry lead to her previous position as director of marketing at Cedar River Brewing Company, a craft sake brewery in Seattle. Since then she has spoken at educational opportunities nationwide such as an online seminar at Master Brewers Association of the Americas, at the Japanese Consulate in Seattle for JSS (Japan Sake and Shochu Makers Association) and JETRO (The Japan External Trade Organization), workshops, sake pairings, and many more. She loves breaking down the barriers in understanding Sake and Shochu – highly complex beverages with deep traditions in the Japanese culture.
J.S.A Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
日本酒学講師 Certified Sake Educator, Sake Service Institute
Certified Level 3 Sake Educator, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
International Kikisake-shi, Sake Service Institute International
Advanced Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America