Course Date and Time
In order to continue social distancing measures, we will offer remote proctored exams as well as an in-person examination.
June 22, 2020 (Online Lecture + Exam):
8:30am – 3:30pm (Lecture)
4:00pm – 5:00pm (Remote proctored Online Exam)
June 25, 2020 (In-person Exam Only):
9:00am – 10:00am (Exam)
Classroom Exam Location
New York Mutual Trading– 77 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ 07094
- COURSE REGISTRATION CLOSES: June, 5 2020
- Course sake samples must be picked up New York Mutual Trading 55 Metro Way, Secaucus, NJ or VinVero Wines & Spirits 393 Grand St, New York, NY
- Photo ID is required to for participation in the exam.
- Specifications for remote proctored exam must be met to take online exam. Inquire for details.
- We reserve the right to cancel the class two weeks prior to the date of the course if there are an inadequate number of registrants. In the case of a cancellation your course fee will be reimbursed (minus the cost of course materials) or you may choose to register for a course at a future date.
This course is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Students will leave the course with hands-on sake knowledge gained from in class sake tastings.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are requested to review course materials prior to the course date. Topics covered in class are
The exam is closed-book and comprised of 30 multiple choice questions. Candidates that pass will receive a certificate and lapel from the Wine & Spirits Education Trust.
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery