Course Date & Time
- February 18, 2018
- 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Classroom: The Wine House
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake is intended for people who have little or no prior knowledge of sake. It is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake, for example people who work with sake as part of a larger beverage portfolio, in retail and hospitality sectors.
Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer queries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
- Exam Date: February 18, 2018
- Closed book exam of 30 multiple choice questions
- Bring picture ID to the exam to confirm your identity
Course Location Information
The Wine House
Born in Yamanashi Prefecture in Japan where his family has grown wine grapes for generations, Toshio Ueno grew up helping the business from a young age. After college studies in America, he joined a pastry and wine company, where he was put in charge, overseeing the personal wine collection of the company’s president. It was at this point when intrigue set in for him to enter the world of wine stewardship and research.
Toshio Ueno is currently Manager of Business Development in marketing Japanese foods and liquor to the mainstream American market. With his unique knowledge and expertise in both eastern and western liquors, Jizake and Shochu of the east, and wine and beer from the west, he aims to further promote Japanese food and liquor cultures to new, international audiences
MASTER OF SAKE, SSI
MASTER SAKE SOMMELIER, SSI
CERTIFIED SAKE EDUCATOR, WSET
ADVANCED SAKE PROFESSIONAL, SEC
ADVANCED CERTIFICATE, WSET
SAKE SOMMELIER & SCHOCHU ADVISER, SSI
BEER ADVISER, FBO CO., JAPAN
VICE PRESIDENT, SAKE SCHOOL OF AMERICA