Course Date and Time
March 06, 2020: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture)
March 07, 2020: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Lecture)
March 08, 2020: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Exam)
Napa Valley Wine Academy -2501 Oak St, Napa, CA 94559
- COURSE REGISTRATION CLOSES: Feb 21, 2020
- Photo ID is required to for participation in the exam.
- This course is hosted by Napa Valley Wine Academy so please complete registration through their online registration portal.
Successful candidates will be able to list the principal categories of sake, and state their defining characteristics, and know the key principles involved in the storage and service of sake. They will consequently be in a position to answer customer queries and provide recommendations for the service of sake.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are required to complete a two-week online pre-study program before attending the course. You must be of legal drinking age in the country where you are attending the course to participate in any alcohol tasting; however, this is not a barrier to successfully completing Unit 1.
The exam comprises two parts and lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes overall. Students must pass both parts of the examination paper in order to achieve the Level 3 Award in Sake. Candidates are tested over:
- A theory paper of 50 multiple-choice questions and three short answer questions
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two sakes
Note: Both parts of the examination require a minimum mark of 55% to pass.
- The main techniques that are used in the production of sake and how they influence style and quality
- The principal and specialty categories of sake
- The sake industry and the commercial importance of sake in the Japanese and export markets
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of sake
- Overview and hands-on tasting of a select range of sake
- How to taste sake, and evaluate quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
Instructor: Toshio Ueno
Born in Yamanashi Prefecture in Japan where his family has grown wine grapes for generations, Toshio Ueno grew up helping the business from a young age. After college studies in America, he joined a pastry and wine company, where he was put in charge, overseeing the personal wine collection of the company’s president. It was at this point when intrigue set in for him to enter the world of wine stewardship and research.
Toshio Ueno is currently Director of Sake at Mutual Trading Company. With his unique knowledge and expertise in both eastern and western liquors, Jizake and Shochu of the east, and wine and beer from the west, he aims to further promote Japanese food and liquor cultures to new, international audiences.
Master Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Master of Sake, Sake Service Institute
2016 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Advanced Certificate, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Sake Sommelier & Shochu Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Beer Adviser, Food & Beverage Organization Japan
Nanbu Toji Guild, Toji Candidate, Accredited Specialist