Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Sake Adviser course. This course provides fundamental background knowledge on sake production, history, and types. Students will gain the ability to speak about basic varieties of sake, including popular brands, with confidence.
Note: Students who have successfully completed the Certified Sake Adviser are eligible to enroll in our advanced sake certification course, Certified Sake Sommelier.
Course Date and Time
Thursday, February 29, 2024
- In-person Lecture: 8:30 am – 3:30 pm ET
Friday, March 8, 2024
- Online Exam: 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm ET
Along with the in-person sake lecture and instructions, students will receive a preparation quiz which should be reviewed before attending class.
Ruby Wines New Hampshire
105 Gay Street, Manchester, NH 03103
For any class-related questions, please contact Sake School directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
- You must be age 21 or over to take this course and exam.
- Registration will close when the course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (Feb. 14, 2024) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
Friday, March 8, 2024
- Online Exam: 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm ET
The 1-hour online exam is comprised of 100 multiple-choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Sake Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of sake in Japan
- Sake ingredients and brewing processes
- Sake terminology and reading sake production labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection, and service of sake
- Overview of sake tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us before the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Sara Guterbock
CBS, ISS, ASP, CS, CWE, DipWSET, JSA Sake Diploma
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Advanced Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
International Sake Lecturer, Sake Service Institute International
International Sake Sommelier (Kikisake-shi), Sake Service Institute International Sake Adviser, Sake Service Institute
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America
Sara spent a year living in Japan as a high school student and grew up in a family that placed great emphasis on learning and experiencing the Japanese language and culture. Becoming proficient in Sake has brought together Sara’s passion for the beverage industry with her life-long love of Japan, its people, traditions, and cuisine.
Sara devotes a tremendous amount of energy introducing people to the complexities and beauties of Sake and its unmatched ability to pair with food. She has developed a growing portfolio of 135 sakes, the largest in North Carolina, which she helps to distribute, market, and educate about throughout the state and beyond.