Prepare yourself for a career in the restaurant, beverage, or food industry with our Certified Sake Adviser course. This course provides the fundamental background knowledge on sake production, history, and types. Students will gain the ability to speak about basic varieties of sake, including popular brands, with confidence.
Note: Students that have obtained Certified Sake Adviser are eligible to enroll in our advanced sake certification course, Certified Sake Sommelier.
Course Date and Time
January 09, 2023: 11:00am – 7:00pm ET | 8:00am – 4:00pm PT
Online Exam Date: January 16, 2023 4:00pm – 5:00pm ET | 1:00pm-2:00pm PT
Please adjust accordingly for your own timezone.
Along with the online sake lecture and instructions, students will experience 15 sake samples guided by the instructor to illustrate the variety of key sake styles.
If you are nearby Los Angeles, you can pick up your sake samples in person at:
Miyako Sushi & Washoku School
843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
If you are outside of the Metropolitan Los Angeles area, the sake tasting can be shipped to you.
After your registration is completed, be sure to be in contact with Sake School of America administration to arrange your sake sample delivery.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification.
- You must be age 21 or over to take this course and exam.
- Registration will close when the course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (Oct. 28, 2022) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
- Students will receive ZOOM information after registration.
Monday, Jan 16, 2023
- Online Exam: 4:00pm – 5:00pm ET | 1:00pm-2:00pm PT
The 1-hour written exam is comprised of 100 multiple choice questions covering the textbook and lecture content. Blind tasting exam is not included at the Sake Adviser level.
Note: The examination requires a minimum mark of 75% to pass.
- The history of sake in Japan
- Sake ingredients and brewing processes
- Sake terminology and reading sake production labels
- The principles behind the storage, selection, and service of sake
- Overview of sake tasting and analysis
- All students will receive a review guide for course preparation support. We encourage students to contact us in advance of the course if they have questions about their course materials.
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake-related news, events, and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
International Sake Sommelier, Sake Service Institute
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery