WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
This course is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Students will leave the course with hands-on sake knowledge gained from in-class sake tastings.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
This course provides a workbook, activity sheet, tasting samples (7), and the exam. Upon successful completion, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin and will be able to use the associated WSET-certified logo.
Course Date and Time
December 04, 2023, 9:00am – 4:30pm PT (Lecture & Exam)
Please adjust accordingly for your own time zone.
Sake School of America – 843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
- This is an in-person course and exam.
- Must be age 21 or over to register and take the exam.
- Photo ID is required for participation in the exam and must match the name you register with.
- Registration will close when the course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (November 16, 2023) has passed. Please be advised, that late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
- Reasonable adjustments may be available upon request until Nov. 10, 2023. Please contact us at email@example.com for more information.
REFUNDS / CANCELLATIONS
Students may cancel their registration by November 16, 2023 (5:00 pm PT) and receive a full refund. If students cancel their registration after November 16, 2023, a $50.00 administration fee will be subtracted from their refund.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are requested to review course materials prior to the course date.
Topics covered in class are:
- The basic principles of sake production
- The main types and styles of sake
- How to serve sake
- Factors affecting the flavor of sake
- How to describe sake using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
December 04, 2023 | 3:30pm – 4:30pm
The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake assessment is a closed-book examination of 45 minutes and consists of 30 multiple-choice questions worth one mark each. A mark of 70% and above is passing.
Re-sitting an Exam:
If you need to retake the exam, the fee will be $70.00. Please email us to schedule a retake at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
Instructor: Eda Vuong
JSA Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
Certified WSET L1 and L3 Award in Sake Educator, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
International Sake Lecturer, Sake Service Institute International
International Sake Sommelier (Kikisake-shi), Sake Service Institute International
Japan Sake and Shochu Academy Graduate
Sake Adviser, Sake School of America
Certified Sake Professional, Sake Education Council
Shochu Adviser, Sake School of America
Author of Sake Splash
Eda is a Californian born and raised (with a few detours here and there). She spent 10+ years in the food, restaurant, and service industry in the San Francisco and San Mateo areas, working mainly with Japanese business owners. Having found a deep love and respect for Japanese food and culture, it was natural that Japanese alcoholic beverages were the next step. After moving to Southern California to attend university, Eda graduated with a focus in Business and Marketing, landing her a position at Los Angeles Mutual Trading Company and Sake School of America.