WSET Level 1 Award in Sake
This course is designed to provide a sound but simple introduction to sake. The WSET Level 1 Award in Sake qualification will assist those who need a basic familiarity with the main styles and categories of sake. Students will leave the course with hands-on sake knowledge gained from in-class sake tastings.
In preparation for your upcoming course, please review the online specification provided.
This course provides a textbook, activity sheet, tasting samples, and the exam. Upon successful completion, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET-certified logo.
Course Date and Time
July 17, 2023, 11:00am – 7:00pm ET / 8:00am – 4:00pm PT(Lecture & Exam)
Please adjust accordingly for your own time zone.
via Zoom (link will be provided prior to course)
Along with the online sake lecture and instructions, students will experience 10 sake samples guided by the instructor to illustrate the variety of key sake styles.
If you are nearby Los Angeles, you can pick up your sake samples in person at:
Sake School of America
843 E 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
If you are outside of the Metropolitan Los Angeles area, the sake tasting can be shipped to you.
After your registration is completed, be sure to be in contact with Sake School of America administration to arrange your sake sample delivery.
- Must be age 21 or over to register and take the exam.
- Photo ID is required for participation in the exam.
- Registration will close when the course reaches capacity or the enrollment deadline (June 16, 2023) has passed. Please be advised, late registration may incur additional charges for textbook rush order shipment fees.
- Online students will receive ZOOM information after registration.
- Reasonable adjustments maybe available upon request. Please contact us at email@example.com for mare information.
REFUNDS / CANCELLATIONS
If you cancel before tasting samples have been shipped, you will receive a full refund. If you cancel after tasting samples have been shipped, we will not be able to refund you. However, you can apply your course fee to future classes.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification; however, candidates are requested to review course materials prior to the course date. Topics covered in class are
July 19, 2023 11:00am PT | 2:00pm ET
Those taking the course online will receive an ONLINE exam the day AFTER the course – you MUST have two devices with cameras to qualify for this option.
Our online exams are referred to “remote invigilation exams” or RI exams. Below are some helpful links regarding our WSET RI Exams.
What to expect before and during an RI Exam
RI Exam Checklist for Students
Common Causes of RI Exam Re-sits
Re-sitting an Exam:
If you need to retake the exam, the fee will $70.00. Please email us to schedule a retake firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exercise 1: What is Sake?
- Exercise 2: Overview of Sake Production
- Exercise 3: Categories and Grades of Sake
- Exercise 4: Introduction to Tasting
- Exercise 5: Making Different Styles of Sake
- Exercise 6: Reading Japanese Kanji
- Exercise 7: Specialty Styles of Sake
- Exercise 8: Storage and Service of Sake
- Exercise 9: Sake and Food
Instructor: Timothy Sullivan
Founder, UrbanSake.com, America’s foremost sake website
2007 Sake Samurai, Japan Sake Brewer’s Association
Certified Sake Educator Level 3, Wine & Spirit Education Trust
JSA Sake Diploma, Japan Sommelier Association
International Sake Sommelier (Kikisake-shi), Sake Service Institute International
Official Brand Ambassador, Hakkaisan Sake Brewery
With his first sip in 2005, Timothy Sullivan simply fell in love with premium Japanese sake. This inspired him to start the first sake blog in the United States: UrbanSake.com, America’s most popular sake blog & education website. His passion for sake has grown this site into America’s leading resource for sake related news, events and education. In 2007, the Japanese Sake Brewer’s Association awarded Sullivan the title of “Sake Samurai” in recognition of his work to promote sake outside of Japan.