Society of Wine Educators
Advantages of SWE education courses:
- Self paced
- Ease of testing (Pearson VUE testing centers worldwide – book when and where you like)
- Many study aids available
- Online classes
- Practice tests and quizzes
- Quiz App
- Updated Maps
- Digital badges available for certification holders – offers certification verification and enables sharing online
Entry level : HBSC “Bev Specialist”
- Online self-paced course (hard copy of study guide available for additional fee through Amazon)
- Content covers broad brush of wine and spirits of the world as well as water, coffee, tea, sake and non-alcoholic beverage
- Test = 100 multiple choice questions (online)
- Two test attempts allowed
- Print Certificate on demand
Intermediate level : CSW, Certified Specialist of Wine / CSS, Certified Specialist of Spirits
- Self-paced courses. Both offer hard copy or digital versions of study guide
- Content covers comprehensive material for the entire wine (or) spirits of the world including raw materials, production, geography, styles, laws, service and more.
- Optional study tools available include: 12-week guided online class, Course workbook, Flashcards, Practice quizzes, Quiz App, and the most up to date maps
Advanced level : CWE, Certified Wine Educator / CSE, Certified Spirits Educator
- The highest levels of SWE certification which recognize a candidate’s knowledge and analysis as well as the ability to successfully communicate about wine or spirits to various audiences through writing and presentations.
- Testing includes theory, tasting and live presentation.
- Certification of Responsible Beverage Alcohol Service is also required.
- CSW or CSS are prerequisites for each respective certification.
Education Resources to stay current!
- Wine & Spirits Quiz App (free, iPhone/Android)
- Wine Academy (member only)
- Spirits Academy (member only)
- Practice quizzes / Flashcards updated regularly
- CSW/CSS workbooks – even if you already have your certification, test your knowledge with the latest workbooks
- Maps of the wine regions
- Wine Wit and Wisdom – the SWE official blog with the most up to date news and information about the wine and spirits world and the people in our industry (free)
- Study Guides – both the wine and spirits guides are updated regularly and having the newest edition on hand is a great reference tool (available in print or digital download)
- SWEbinars – online wine or spirits related topics (non-member/ member only offerings)
- SWE Summits – in depth SWEbinars on more obscure and interesting wine or spirits topics (member only)
- Annual Conference – brings members and industry leaders together for more than 50 educational sessions and unique networking opportunities
Forbes Magazine says:
- “The Society or Wine Educators: For wine lovers too”
- Despite the phrase “wine educators” in the society’s name, it is not necessary to be an official educator or a member of the wine trade for students to take a course, sit an exam, and receive a certificate.
- “Beyond learning about the various wine regions in depth, wine lovers will really appreciate the ability to participate in the annual conference, which generally takes place in August or another summer month”
Showing the single result